There is a terrific read in the Jan-Feb issue of Bethesda Magazine by Mark Walston. The article sheds light onto the mystery of Edward Baltzley and his twin brother, Edwin who "in 1888, joined the developers’ parade with the purchase of a 500-acre tract on Conduit Road—today’s MacArthur Boulevard—just downstream from the confluence of Cabin John Creek and the Potomac. They named their new community Glen Echo." The article goes onto describe the brothers vision of Glen Echo, the castle they built and their ultimate relocation to other parts of the United States in search of fortune.
Read More: http://www.bethesdamagazine.com/Bethesda-Magazine/January-February-2011/Castle-in-the-Sky/index.php?cparticle=1&siarticle=0#artanc